This great rotisserie chicken recipe has become hugely popular throughout both North and South America. Known by the names of Super Chicken, Pollo a la Brasa, or Peruvian Chicken, this is a tasty way to make a succulent dish with enough flavour to satisfy anyone, but mild enough for everyone.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2-1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 quart cold water
- Combine vinegar, wine, oil with garlic powder, cumin, paprika, black pepper, and salt. Mix well to form a paste. Add lemon juice to cold water. Trim chicken of any excess or loose fat. Wash chicken thoroughly with lemon water. Place chicken in zip-top bag. Pour spice paste over chicken. Coat chicken completely with mixture rubbing into every surface. Try to get the paste under the skin as much as possible.
- Seal bag and place chicken in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. The chicken will have more flavour the longer it “marinates” in the spice mixture. Do not refrigerate more than 24 hours however.
- Preheat grill and prepare rotisserie. Place chicken on rotisserie and on the grill for approximately 1-1/2 hours at approximately 300° F (150° C). Test chicken for doneness by measuring the temperature in the thickest part of the thigh. Chicken is done at 165° F (75° C).
This chicken dish is frequently served with a dipping sauce. A simple version of this sauce is made from combining 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons mustard and 2 tablespoons lime juice.
Get the latest travel trends & hear about the best deals on vacations around the world.
If you’re a Globetrotter, these are the newsletters for you!