This recipe is a beauty from the fabulous Maria at Azur Lodges. She is responsible for the fantastic breakfast every day, the afternoon teas, and pre-dinner canapes.
- 250g Butter
- 250g Chocolate
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp of ground almond
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 180°C, grease and line a 9-inch round cake tin.
- Melt butter and chocolate together over double boiler pan. Put aside.
- Beat egg yolk and sugar until light and creamy.
- Fold in melted butter and chocolate, then fold in flour and ground almond, put aside.
- In another bowl beat together egg white and cream of tartar, until soft peak (do not over beat – or cake will collapse).
- Fold both egg white mixture and chocolate mixture together gently. Pour into greased pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Take out and let cool in pan, the cake will still be wobbly, and will set when cooled to a fudge like texture. Do not be concerned if the cake does not seem cooked after 45 minutes – it is supposed to be like that.
- Sprinkle lightly with icing sugar, best served with fresh berries and whipped cream!
Azur Lodge is the Goway Stay of Distinction in spectacular Queenstown. It is uniquely tucked away on 3.5 acres of private hillside off Lake Wakatipu and is only five minutes by car from downtown Queenstown. Azur offers superb luxury accommodation with magnificent views of Lake Wakatipu and the surrounding mountains, there are nine freestanding, open plan villas and a main lodge that serves as the focal point for the lodge. Azurs take on service is personable, friendly and professional all the while catering to each guests individual needs. Nightly rates includes private return airport transfers and on demand transfers to Queenstown centre, full breakfast, afternoon tea, pre-dinner drinks and canapés, complimentary WiFi, turndown service and full use of the Lodge facilities. Azur can also facilitate in-villa dining, spa treatments and itinerary recommendations – simply for starters. Whatever you need is no trouble at all at Azur.
Here are top 5 features of Azur Lodge:
- All 9 identical villas offer uninterrupted views of Lake Wakatipu and the surrounding mountain ranges
- 5 minutes from downtown Queenstown by complimentary on-demand transfer between 7am-11pm
- Complimentary airport transfers on arrival and departure
- Full breakfast served in the main lodge or privacy of your own villa, homemade afternoon tea, pre-dinner drinks, and canapés
- Guests dine at one of the fine restaurants in downtown Queenstown with door to door transfers, or privately in their villa any night during their stay
For more information on Azur Lodge, please visit our special webpage on
Azur Lodge – Stay of Distinction.
Get the latest travel trends & hear about the best deals on vacations around the world.
If you’re a Globetrotter, these are the newsletters for you!