Enjoy these days of summer with good company and of course, great food. Melitzanosalata is a Greek eggplant dip which you can serve as an appetizer, snack, or part of a meze. It makes an ideal food for grazing on picnics, whether it’s spread on a slice of french bread or being dipped in by a warm slice of pita.
Blended with fresh, healthy ingredients, enjoy the flavours of Greece and the Mediterranean with this mouthwatering dip.
Servings: Approx. 3-4
- 2 large eggplants
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh parsley leaves, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prick the eggplants with a fork and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for 50 to 60 minutes, turning every 15 minutes, until charred and soft.
- Allow the eggplant to rest until cool enough to handle. Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh. Roughly chop the flesh and place in a colander to drain for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant to a large bowl and gently mash with a fork. Add the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir well and add salt and pepper to taste. Chill for one hour.
- When ready to serve, drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkling of parsley.