Beat the heat this summer with Limonada de Coco (Coconut Limeade). This refreshing drink is very popular in Northern Colombia. In fact, it’s the unofficial “welcome” drink when you arrive in Cartagena, and is also found on many menus in Bogota.
This thirst-quenching Caribbean juice is incredibly easy to make and can also be adjusted to your preferences. If you’d like an alcoholic version, add one ounce of white rum per glass. Also, if you prefer a slushy-type texture, blend all ingredients for a shorter period of time, and blend longer for a smoothie-type texture.
Servings: Makes 4 8oz glasses
- 2-1/2 cups small ice cubes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup lime juice (approx. 3 limes)
- 3 tablespoons granulated (to taste)
- 4 lime slices (thin and round) for garnish
- Sprigs of mint for garnish (optional)
- If using coconut milk from a can, make sure to shake well before opening.
- With the exception of lime slices and mint, blend all ingredients together until you reach desired consistency.
- Make one slit in each lime slice, starting from centre of the slice to edge.
- Place lime slices on rims of glasses. Pour the blended juice in glasses and then top with a sprig of mint (optional).
- Serve with a colourful straw for the ultimate summertime drink!