The Maldives are renowned for their stunning island resorts, overwater bungalows, and an incredible turquoise ocean setting. Yet there’s more to this destination than simply relaxing. Here we list some top, unique experiences that travellers can enjoy while staying at a resort in the Maldives.
- Take a Cooking Class. The food in the Maldives is amazing fusion of traditional Maldivian, Thai, and Asian fusion dishes, plus seafood and international cuisine. Select resorts offer hands-on classes taught by master chefs, so you learn to recreate (and eat) the perfect Maldivian dish. We love the class that’s offered at the two sister properties: Anantara Veli Resort and Spa and Anantara Dhigu Resort and Spa.
- Wake up with Yoga. What more peaceful way to enjoy the beautiful surrounds of the Maldives than through a yoga lesson on the beach? Most resorts offer either a group or private lesson, available for beginners or experts. Some also offer morning meditation classes. Centara Ras Fushi offers both yoga and meditation.
- See an Underwater Shipwreck. The “Shipyard” is a famous wreck diving site, and one of the most iconic landmarks of the Lhaviyani atoll, near Kuredu Island Resort. The wrecks are now excellent dive sites with an abundance of marine life. Embark on a diving experience to learn more.
- Get a Massage in an Overwater Spa. Not too many places in the world offer you the chance to receive a massage or beauty treatment in a spa over the water, a truly awe-inspiring and serene setting. The Taj Exotica Resort and Spa offers the Jiva Grande Spa, which is located on its own private spa island sanctuary.
- Try a Cool Water Activity. Not into diving or snorkelling? You can still enjoy a water-based experience (and stay dry) on a glass bottom boat. Or, if you’re staying at the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island Resort, you can enjoy the “Nemo”, a small three-seater submarine driven by a trained pilot to take passengers on a 30-minute ride to see the resort’s coral reef.