Australia and New Zealand are pretty fantastic travel destinations, as there is honestly something for everyone. Whether you’re a family, a solo-traveller or backpacker, or join a coach-tour, Australia and New Zealand always deliver a great time. But we’re feeling a little romantic, so we’ve come up with a couple great ideas for couples.
1. A gourmet picnic for two on a secluded beach within the Whitsunday Islands, Australia.
Staying at Hamilton Island’s Qualia resort, within the Great Barrier Reef, world renowned for its incredible landscape and heavenly beach-islands is a reward unto itself. But for a couple, for honeymooners, or a family, set sail on an intimate luxury cruise to a secluded beach, where you’ll have the most exclusive of views. On the way back drop anchor to take in a remarkable Whitsunday sunset. This is an experience to never forget.
2. Alongside the spectacular Mossman River, with the sounds and rainfall of the jungle around you there’s nothing quite like sleeping in the rainforest – safe from bugs (i.e.: Aussie mozzies), getting wet, and naturally in the utmost level of comfort! Silky Oaks is an award winning eco hotel, one of the finest in the world and the benchmark of eco-spa-luxury accommodation in Tropical North Queensland, Australia. Please see our website for a detailed itinerary of how to spend a couple days at Silky oaks.
3. Driving the Great Ocean Road, Australia.
Easily one of the most beautiful road-trips on Earth, this is the cloud 9 of self-drive trips in Australia. Roaring alongside sun-kissed cliffs and the epic Twelve Apostles within your own vehicle will topple just about any commute you’ve done before. There’s great seaside restaurants and boutique lodging so you can drag out this trip into a few day journey, encouraging you to enjoy the trip, not the destination. Here’s a 5 day Great Ocean Road self-drive itinerary, along the Shipwreck coast.
4. Roadtrip along New Zealands Wine Trail
New Zealand is a great destination as its small enough that you can explore a lot in even 2 weeks. Furthermore it’s a great self-drive country, with good roads and friendly drivers. But increasingly it’s getting a reputation as a wine producing nation, and we think you can dress up the traditional NZ road trip to follow its wine trail. Of course, take your time, but we’ve crafted a 10 day itinerary as a jumping off point using boutique accommodation, typically 2 night stays (there’s a lot wine to be had!), and delectable New Zealand cuisine paired with, of course…wine! Please see our page for our Self-drive trip along New Zealands Wine trail. Also visit Blenheim.
5. Hide away in your own luxury villa amongst New Zealand’s Remarkables.
Spoil yourself with a stay at a Luxury Lodge while you’re in New Zealand, at the Azur luxury villas outside Queenstown. Here a soaring snow-capped mountain range called the Remarkables surround your villa, set above dramatic Lake Wakatipu. Queenstown itself is the adventure heartland of NZ, but you’ll have a hard time setting off to climb glaciers, jet-boat, or hike as you’ll hardly want to leave your palatial villa.
6. South Pacific Globetrotters Ultra-Honeymoon: Chile, Tahiti and New Zealand.
Ok the title is a bit of a mouthful, but we promise: it’s totally doable. We’ve pioneered one interesting itinerary by flying you into Santiago, Chile for a Latin capital with European flair and great wine (try Carmenere!), with your first glimpse of the pacific at beautiful Valpariaso, then fly onto heavenly Tahiti for sun and sand, finishing in New Zealand. For serious travelers only! For trip details, checkout our classic South Pacific and South America trip.