Iceland is famous for its volcanoes and the country continues to see hot volcano action with an ongoing fissure eruption at the Holuhraun lava-field, north of Vatnajökull Glacier. Icelanders, however, have learned to harness the power of their fiery friends. Here are 10 pretty amazing things that you might see on your next Iceland tour:
1. Create breathtaking lava tubes and ice caves for exploring
2. Provide clean, renewable geothermal energy to heat homes and businesses
(Iceland’s electricity is produced almost entirely from renewable energy sources: hydroelectric at 70%, and geothermal at 30%)
3. Provide geothermal heating for outdoor pools and spas
5. Heat the ground for geothermal bread-baking
6. Create exciting exploding geysers like Strokkur
7. Form unique lava formations at Lake Myvatn
8. Produce the stunning black sand beaches that you can see at Vik
9. Make awesome volcano magma chambers for climbing INSIDE (Thrihnukagigur Volcano is the only place on earth where you can enter a magma chamber)
10. Allow for an awesome Volcano Flightseeing Tour!
Want to see one of the volcanoes first hand? Then check out Goway’s 7 day Iceland Volcanoes and Glaciers tour with International Air. Or visit our website for all of our Iceland tours.
Get the latest travel trends & hear about the best deals on vacations around the world.
If you’re a Globetrotter, these are the newsletters for you!