- News / Events
- Sales Tools
- Agent Incentives
- Meet the Team
Goway Idyllic Islands Product Manager, Mike Bertoia, recently returned from a trip to Greece for Travel Trade Athens. Mike had the opportunity to visit Athens and a variety of islands including Mykonos, Paros, and Santorini. In the following interview, Mike shares with you some of his experiences, tips, and reasons why you should recommend Greece to your clients.
Where did you go in Greece?
I was lucky enough to do some island hopping while I was in Greece, starting in Athens before checking out some of the more popular islands like Mykonos and Santorini along with the hidden gem of Paros. If you have clients looking for something similar, have a look at one of our most popular selling packages: Greece Highlights: Athens, Mykonos, Paros and Santorini.
Can you describe some of the properties you visited?
Most of the properties I visited on this trip ranged from 4-star to luxury 5-star, some being chain hotels like the Electra properties in Athens and Myconian collections in Mykonos, as well as some boutique family-owned properties throughout the islands. It is vital to remember that star ratings in Europe may differ from North American standards.
What exciting excursions/activities did you experience?
One of my favourite experiences was a walking tour through Central Athens, which included a private guide who took us into the underground, which is a living museum, and told us about the history of the Acropolis as we made our way to its top. Afterwards, we made our way through the Plaka, the oldest section of Athens with two main pedestrian streets making it very easy to get around. We explored the shops and stopped along the way for some great dining options located in the heart of Central Athens.
What tips can you recommend for travel agents selling this destination?
1. Island hopping in Greece is predominantly available from May to October, which is the best time to visit Greece. However, because of the shorter travel window, it is bustling from June to September. I would also recommend booking well in advance to secure space and get the best possible rates for your clients.
2. Athens offers so much to do, and a walking tour of the Acropolis is a must. As mentioned previously, it was indeed one of the highlights of my recent trip to Greece. However, it’s not recommended for clients with walking issues. The new Acropolis Museum is also a great option. Athens is also a foodie’s destination so if that is something that interests your clients, I recommend pre-booking a food tour as they do fill up fast and have limited space.
3. A visit to Santorini is a must, and I would suggest offering clients accommodation in Oia Santorini during their time on the island so they can experience the iconic cliff-side hotels that provide the best sunset views overlooking the caldera. This area, however, is not great for clients with mobility issues as there are many stairs.
4. In Mykonos, for clients looking to enjoy the nightlife, I would highly recommend staying in a hotel close to Mykonos Town, with easy access to shopping, tons of restaurants, bars and discos, and public transit that can take you to many different beach areas.
5. Island hopping is very easy within Greece, with multiple options from daily flights to a massive ferry system. I would recommend upgrading to business class on the longer ferry journeys. It’s well worth the money and can make the experience that much more comfortable. Alternatively, as a time saver, I would recommend flying.
Get the latest GowayAgent News right to your inbox.